Monday, August 3, 2009

Evil Ants

Yesterday I wasn't feeling so hot.. pretty sick to my stomach during the night (which sucked because it was pouring rain and flooding my tent) and weak and dizzy during the day. Around noon, I grabbed my roll mat out of my tent and walked down to a nice shady spot under a tree to lay down and chill out. I took some rehydration salts and began to feel a bit better.. thank God. I was mildly panicking because I knew that it was a 12 hour, very bumpy trip back to Kampala to a doctor.. I think that it may have been the spicy dinner and wine I had the night before, combined with the extreme heat, being dehydrated and the big altitude change. I've been drinking tons of water since I got to Uganda, but I didn't drink much on our travel day because I didn't want to make the team have to stop every hour because of my teeny bladder. I didn't realize how quickly you could get dehydrated here though!
Anyways, so the whole point of all of that was that I was hanging up some laundry down under the tree that I was relaxing under yesterday and I made it all the way back up to the campsite before I realized that there were ants biting and crawling all over me! They managed to get down into my boots, up my pant legs and all over my stomach and arms. The ants here are pretty big and they have really big claw like mouths that bite onto you like a tick and won't let go. I've never been attacked by an army of ants before... ahhhh new experiences..

J Shouse Photojournalism on Facebook!