Thursday, May 6, 2010

Flight to the Far East

4:30pm Tokyo time


We landed in Tokyo and have a short layover before heading onto Bangkok. Had a little sushi (my first sushi in Japan!) before hopping onto the next plane. Presently, we are flying over the East China Sea and just caught a glimpse of Mt. Fuji to the north.


6pm Bangkok time


Our 22 hours of travel have been relatively painless, the international excursion made much more enjoyable than my last because I'm not flying solo, but instead have one of my favorite people in the world by my side! Although I can't say he's been the best conversation partner seeing as a combo of white wine and xanax has knocked him out for the duration of both flights to Tokyo and then on to Bangkok. :) I was able to polish off David Grann's "The Lost City of Z", a remarkably well written, intensively researched account of British Colonel Percy Fawcett's exploration of the Amazon in the early 1900's. Although our well-planned, relatively safe "adventure" is a far cry from Fawcett's exceedingly dangerous, potentially lethal excursions into the unforgiving Amazon, reading about his expeditions poured a little gasoline on my adventurous spirit's fire.


J Shouse Photojournalism on Facebook!